- On the eighteenth day of the war in Ukraine, Sunday 13 March, Russian air strikes were aimed at a military base in western Ukraine, near the Polish border, killing 35 and injuring 134, according to a report released by Ukrainian authorities at noon on Sunday. The Yavoriv base, located 40 kilometers northwest of Lviv, was one of the main centers for joint military exercises with NATO.
- Brent Renaud, a 50-year-old freelance American journalist was shot dead on Sunday in Irpin, in the northwestern suburbs of Kiev, where fighting has been going on for days. He is the first foreign journalist to be murdered since the beginning of the Russian invasion on February 24.
- US security adviser Jake Sullivan warned Beijing that… consequences of aid to Moscow to reduce the impact of the sanctions imposed after the attack on Ukraine.
- In the besieged city Mariupol (South-East), where the situation is “almost hopeless” According to MSF, residents hoped for the arrival on Sunday of a humanitarian aid convoy that was blocked at a Russian roadblock. The Ukrainian president announced that he would arrive there on Monday afternoon. The International Committee of the Red Cross has warned against: “in the worst case” while city hall reports more than 2,100 deaths. The Russian army also massively bombed the port city Mykolaiv†
- A negotiation session by video conference between Russia and Ukraine will be held on Monday, confirmed Mykhaïlo Podoliak, a negotiator and adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, on Sunday evening. Earlier in the evening, the spokesman for the Russian presidency, Dmitry Peskov, had announced the holding of this exchange.
- A large demonstration took place on Sunday to Kherson (South), to protest the occupation of the city by Russian troops, local media reported. This city of 290,000 inhabitants fell into the hands of the Russian army in the night of Wednesday 2 to Thursday 3 March.
- “About 1,300” Ukrainian soldiers were killed since February 24, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky announced on Saturday, as well as:at least 596 citizensaccording to the UN census on Sunday, which indicates that its balance sheets are likely much lower than reality.
- In twenty-four hours, some 100,000 people joined the ranks of refugees who fled the fighting and brought their numbers with them to almost 2.7 millionaccording to a count released by the United Nations on Sunday.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine:
Research. How the war in Ukraine shook world order
testimonials. “It’s like we can’t think about tomorrow anymore” : The shattered dreams of young Ukrainian women
Chronic. Vladimir Assad and Bashar Putin
Stand. Arpad Soltesz: “We Slovaks know exactly what it means to be liberated by our Russian Slavic brothers”
Portrait. Mykhailo Fedorov, digital warlord in Ukraine
Us live from Saturday 12 March can be found here.